About the Position:
To provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure safe and effective operation, maintenance and enhancement of National Grid's gas transmission and distribution networks in accordance with the corporate strategic plan. At the lower levels this can encompass a range of duties including standard gas capacity assessments, system operating procedure reviews, facility/integrity assessment, and/or participation in small and large scale engineering projects. At the higher levels this role will lead the design, planning and engineering efforts and program development associated with integrity and reliability programs and complex projects in order to ensure effective operations. In addition,the individual is responsible for ensuring other National Grid business units are provided with the appropriate technical expertise to meet strategic requirements.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
* Perform basic or standard engineering analysis and provide recommendations associated with gas capacity requests, system operating procedures, equipment and facility integrity assessments, and system analysis.
* Perform basic or standard engineering analysis/calculations and designs (e.g., site layout, piping design, material specification, etc..) associated with small scale complex projects and/or participate in large scale complex projects.
* Conduct specific projects within area of capability and perform engineering studies, analysis and investigations, under supervision, in order to recommend corrective action in problem areas, or to prevent problems.
* Independently collate and analyze data within one area using pre-determined tools, methods and formats in order to support the department's decision making process. (DA1)
* Execute instructions and requests, plan and organize resources and make appropriate arrangements to ensure that work is carried out efficiently and in line with relevant policies and processes. (PI1)
* Test and challenge existing procedures and highlight areas for improvement in order to ensure they are robust. (CI1)
* Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders in order to obtain and share information that will benefit National Grid. (BP1)
* Undertake specific tasks of varying complexity in order to support colleagues in the design of technical solutions. (TR1)
* Build upon technical/professional skills within own area of specialism or of other processes in order to continually grow your personal contribution to the business. (PS1)
Additional Responsibilities for Band E:
Band E employees are expected to deliver on the key accountabilities list above as well as those listed below.
* Perform engineering analysis and provide recommendations associated with gas capacity requests, system operating procedures, equipment and facility integrity assessments, and system analysis of moderate and high complexity.
* Perform engineering analysis/calculations and designs (e.g., site layout, piping design, material specification, etc..) associated with moderate and large scale complex projects with moderate and/or high levels of complexity.
* Evaluate engineering processes and systems with consideration to operation, safety and maintenance requirements in order to make recommendations and subsequently develop plans for improvements, where appropriate.
* Develop and maintain systems, designs, specifications, standards, models and procedures in order to support design solutions and enhance safety, efficiency and operability and support local decision making. (TR2)
* Develop high level plans for own area and champion innovation through the use of pilots, in conjunction with business partners and service providers in order to test their validity across the business and ensure value-add of initiatives. (PD3)
* Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others in order to share knowledge and develop technical understanding within discipline. (TL2)
* Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders in order to share best practice, provide technical advice and build bases of influence. (BP2)
* Keep up to date with market/regulatory developments within own profession/discipline in order to ensure the optimization of best practice for National Grid. (PS2)
* Challenge existing ways of working and continuously seek ways to do things better in order to drive greater efficiencies within assigned area. (CI2)
* Promote and implement procedural best practice in order to ensure all working practice (and where relevant, health and safety standards) are compliant with National Grid policies and regulatory requirements. (PI2)
Additional Responsibilities for Band D:
Band D employees are expected to deliver on the key accountabilities list above as well as those listed below.
* Lead strategic program development and execution associated with system operations, planning, and asset management and provide expert technical knowledge as required in support of company operations.
* Lead the assessment, development and planning of large scale and/or major complex projects.
* Provide expert technical knowledge as required in support of company operations.
* Lead the implementation of engineering design for a specific area through the management of an engineering team and in consultation with other groups within the area in order to ensure design is fit for purpose and benefits National Grid operations.
* Make authoritative technical recommendations in order to provide design solutions which have a significant impact on business performance in the short and longer term. (TR4)
* Lead, motivate and develop a professional team of engineering staff, prioritize work and allocate resources in order to ensure results are delivered in line with expectations and customer needs. (TL3)
* Develop processes and review policies relating engineering systems/processes in order to ensure they are in line with strategic business objectives and meet the needs of customers and regulators. (PD4)
* Proactively build and maintain internal and external networks in order to penetrate, absorb and apply technical best practice to the engineering discipline. (PS4)
* Develop process and policy specifications and criteria and options and evaluate those options to support senior management decision-making in the relevant field. (TR3).
* Work with business units to translate objectives into well defined requirements with clearly defined business cases in order to support change and innovation within National Grid. (BP3)
Knowledge & Experience Required:
* Engineer with Bachelor's in Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical or Civil from an accredited school.
* 5 years prior experience required.
* Professional Engineering License or EIT Certificate desired.
* Prior cathodic protection experience or NACE certification.
* Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record
* Be self motivated and have basic knowledge about natural gas delivery system, codes, design, construction, installation, testing, inspections and maintenance of various assets.
* Able to travel overnight outside of your normal work area as needed.
* Able to work overtime including nights/weekends/holidays for emergencies or other special occasions
* Familiar with baseline assessment methods: (ECDA) External Direct Assessment (ILI) Inline Inspection.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.