WSP|Parsons Brinckerhoff (PB), a recognized global leader in the Environment, Health, & Safety (EHS) consultancy market, is currently seeking an experienced Health and Safety (H&S) Compliance Professional to be based out of one of our Environment group offices, preferably in Herndon, Virginia.
WSP|PB is one of the world’s leading international design, engineering, sustainability, and management consultancies, maintaining a global network of auditors, corporate advisory, and compliance assurance professionals with access to some of the world’s leading technical experts in climate change, sustainability, energy, environmental, health and safety, product stewardship and supply chain, and risk issues. Our team is committed to fostering our core company values of innovative, trustworthy, united, passionate, and caring. These values are the cornerstones of how we develop our people.
The successful candidate will have a track record as an H&S compliance professional in an industrial setting with increasing responsibility for project management and completion for private sector clients. Candidates with a consulting background should have some experience/responsibility for client management and business development. Experience in Environment Compliance Auditing is a plus.
About the Job
- Work independently or as part of a team to conduct H&S compliance audits, life safety system audits, and review and prepare various safety programs.
- Assist with the implementation of WSP’s safety programs including preparing and reviewing HAZWOPER-compliant health and H&S plans.
- Assist clients with preparation and implementation of H&S programs, procedures, and management systems to ensure compliance and drive continual improvement.
- Identify and quantify H&S exposures and risks and coordinate appropriate responses through a defined H&S assessment process, especially for mergers and acquisitions.
- Prepare H&S plans and reports for industrial hygiene, and safety issues.
- Evaluate findings, make recommendations, and prepare written and verbal reports.
- Provide support to WSP|PB geology and engineering staff in maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements for investigation and remediation projects, including preparing HAZWOPER H&S plans.
- Bachelor’s degree safety sciences; in environmental science, studies, or engineering; or related discipline plus 6 to 10 years of experience.
- Must have a working and/or expert knowledge of all U.S. health and safety laws and regulations as well as familiarity with the OSHA general industry regulations.
- Must have experience working with H&S compliance issues in an industrial setting.
- Be able to solve problems independently, using knowledge gained from increasing experience.
- Demonstrate the processes involved with managing audit programs, initiating an audit, preparing for an audit, conducting onsite audit activities, reporting on audit findings, and conducting post-audit activities.
- Understand the application of H&S management system principles.
- Possess clear and concise verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with clients and management at all levels.
- Possess strong conceptual, analytical, and problem solving skills with the ability to readily identify key issues and risks and develop strategies or recommendations for improvement.
- Have the ability to work overtime and travel at least 50 percent of the time.
- Must be able to make trips to local sites and travel via air and land to other client sites.
- OSHA 40-hour health and safety training, OSHA 8-hour health and safety refresher training, OSHA 8-hour supervisory training, U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT hazmat materials handling training, CPR, and first aid training are desired.
- ASTM E 1527-13 Environmental Professional considered a plus.
- Board of Environmental Health & Safety Auditor Certification, Certified Professional H&S Auditor considered a plus.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)/Certified Safety Professional (CSP) considered a plus.
- Specialization in Process Safety Management a plus.
- Experience in conducting similar activities for environmental and DOT hazardous materials regulations a plus.
- Specialization in air permitting and compliance experience a plus.
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services consulting firms, provides services designed to transform the built environment and restore the natural one. The firm’s expertise ranges from environmental remediation and urban planning, to engineering iconic buildings and designing sustainable transport networks, to developing the energy sources of the future and enabling new ways of extracting essential resources. Approximately 34,500 employees, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors, program and construction management professionals, as well as various environmental experts, work for this dynamic organization in more than 500 offices across 40 countries worldwide. wsp-pb.com/usa
EOE / Veteran/ Disability/ Gender (M-F)/Gender Identity/ Sexual Orientation