MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY: (*indicates peripheral functions)
- Works with production staff, design engineers and outside technology experts to develop methods of manufacturing products.
1.1 Participates in engineering design process to assure that designs can be manufactured in a practical manner and suggests modifications to designs when necessary
1.2 Works with production staff as needed to develop priorities for capital improvement projects based on production demands and the quality of opportunities.
2 Participates in Quality Improvement.
2.1 Provides input to design and manufacturing engineering department regarding quality improvements.
3 Develops recommendations for capital improvements.
3.1 Travels to trade shows and vendor locations to develop knowledge of the capabilities of equipment and to explore potential applications for equipment that could improve the manufacturing process.
3.2 Develops cost/benefit analysis of capital improvements and seeks approvals from management.
3.3 Participates in special projects
4 Works to determine plant layout for efficiency and capacity relating to new products.
4.1 Reviews plant layout designs presented by manufacturing engineering and production staff and progresses recommendations to management for approval.
4.2 Meets with production control staff to develop and maintain capacity plan for production facilities and equipment.
5 Directs the development and improvement of new and existing processes.
5.1 Directs the maintenance of design documentation to ensure that all prints and specifications are up to date.
5.2 Identifies and implements necessary manufacturing technologies to optimize production of new products.
COMMON PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
All employees are expected to deal with customers and co-workers in a positive and respectful way and perform their duties in a safe and effective manner. Certain other standards apply to all positions, with some additional standards tailored to departments or job groups. These standards are not repeated here, but may be found in other company publications. All employees are expected to conduct their jobs by the standards set forth in these publications.
Has experience with computer terminal, network software, RFID systems, CAD systems, and general office equipment.
- Strength and movement: Work requires occasional lifting, pulling, pushing, and handling. Keyboard use is required. Reaching for reports, documents, etc. is frequent. Movement within and outside the facility to observe work in process and communicate with staff is frequent.
- Sensory ability: Vision must be sufficient to read instructions and words and numbers on paper and computer screens. Far vision must be sufficient to observe production processes.
- Communication: Verbal communication is frequent, with much of the time spent giving work direction and training to staff or communicating with personnel from various departments. A significant time is spent communicating with outside technology experts and vendors.
- Level of exertion: Work is light, requiring exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to move printed materials or packages.
- Reading Ability: The position requires the ability to read text of considerable difficulty requiring understanding of complex rules, technical procedures, reports, specifications, manuals or interpretations.
- Writing: Writing skills are required at a level consistent with the ability to writing text that conveys technical information and is designed to persuade.
- Verbal Skills: Verbal communication needs to be on a level consistent with conveying guidance on technical information and occasionally resolving grievances or disputes in conjunction with supervisory responsibility.
- Math Skills: The position requires the ability to conduct operations research or perform calculations involving algorithms, calculus or advanced statistical methods.
- Reasoning Ability: Reasoning ability is required at the level of solving extremely vague problems by applying strategic thinking, abstract reasoning or developing theories, designs or technical procedures.