Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.
Purpose of the Position
The position is responsible for initiating and driving continuous improvement (Lean) and waste elimination efforts and activities within the organization. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Build and maintain a strong working knowledge of current lean manufacturing processes and tools; educate key people within the organization on the recommended approaches for continuous process improvement.
- Lead training to implement identified strategies for improvement.
- Prepare technical reports, case study documentation and training manuals.
- Focus on continuous improvement to eliminate short and long-term problems.
- Lead by example in an effort to influence, build commitment and understanding of lean principles (i.e. Six Sigma, Kaizen process) to accomplish the improvement goals for the organization.
- Support constructive changes.
- Assist in the development of the process model/maps.
- Facilitate the setting of priorities, objectives, goals, measures and metrics for process improvement projects, ensuring that these are monitored and controlled.
- Manage the team chartering process.
- Ensure that a project plan is developed and agreed for each defined project.
- Specify the appropriate lean process improvement methodologies and tools.
- Work with team leaders to plan and lead improvement projects.
- Involve executive management in improvement projects in an effort to eliminate barriers to team success.
- Provide guidance to sustain improvement changes.
- Communicate lessons learned and best practices from improvement projects.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on Lean experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering or related field of study or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Formal training/certification in lean manufacturing.
- Experience of facilitating and training a technical work force.
- Strong ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and worldwide entities.
- Proven experience in implementing six Sigma and lean manufacturing tools in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of MRP and Microsoft Office software and particularly spreadsheet applications.
- Detail orientated.
- Strong ability to work independently.
Ability to travel up to 20% of time as needed.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.