Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.Purpose of the Position
We are looking for an engineer that is passionate about “all things mechanical”. If you are the type of person that loves a challenge of applying creative engineered solutions to photonics users’ problems, we have an opportunity for you.
Our Mechanical Design engineers are responsible for the design, development, prototyping and testing of complex opto-mechanical solutions for biomedical imaging. These systems incorporate components that range from vibration isolation, temperature control, mechanics, electronics, optics, fiber optics and various laser systems. You will work with professionals that are experts in all aspects of industry; manufacturing, machining, physics, software, electronics and the optical sciences. The ideal engineer will work on projects independently as well as part of a team to achieve the goals of the Imaging Research Group. This position involves participating in and leading R&D design and pre-production reviews to ensure design quality, “user-friendliness”, manufacturability, and cost optimization over the life of the design.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position. Qualifications
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Proficiency with 3D modeling tools such as SolidWorks
- Experience with CNC, lathes and mills
- Experience with dimensional tolerancing, inspection techniques, and DFM
- Problem solving skills using solutions involving new design and assembly techniques, technologies, and concepts.
- Sound understanding of mechanical theory and applications
- Experience with FEA, COSMOS, ANSYS
- Experience in project management
- Tool and fixture making and design experience a plus
- Experience with opto-eletronic test equipment is a plus
- Experience developing, evaluating and improving manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Experience in design and manufacturing in a new product development environment.
- Design of test and assembly fixtures
| || |
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 2-5 years of experience
| || |
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills:|
- Hands-on experience with opto-mechanics, laser systems or in physics lab a big plus
- Proficient in the use of MS Word and Excel
- Good verbal & written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- Ability/Desire to work in a manufacturing environment
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, team orientated, and exceptionally attentive to detail.
| || |