THORLABS is a broad based photonics technologies company offering an extensive array of products ranging from optical and mechanical components to integrated test and measurement systems. Thorlabs’ catalog products are produced in manufacturing centers in the USA, Germany, Sweden, United Kingdom and Japan. Our company has a long-standing customer base with significant growth potential and an excellent reputation for quality, customer service and dependability. It is our mission to supply the photonics market with the tools to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
THORLABS designs and manufactures over 15,000 scientific products and instruments for the optics and laser research industry. As we continue to grow, we are seeking talented individuals to join our team that have a strong desire to succeed. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. THORLABS Headquarters are located in Sussex County, New Jersey, USA, THORLABS also has facilities in Maryland, Virginia, Texas and Michigan, and is established in 8 other countries. THORLABS is a privately held company established in 1989 which now employs over 1400 people.
Purpose of the Position
The position researches, plans, and designs mechanical products and systems. This position directs and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, and repair of mechanical products and systems.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
• Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal and specifications to determine feasibility of design or application.
• Designs products or systems such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines, and mechanical systems.
• Plans/directs engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods & procedures for testing.
• Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
• Responsible for data entry, document revision and control in the Thorlabs ERP system.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
• Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
• Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Physical Activities: Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in mechanical engineering design.
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field or equivalent working experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
• Working knowledge on SolidWorks or similar 3D modeling software.
• Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
• Excellent statistical data analysis and problem solving abilities.
• Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Strong innovation skill.
• Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Direct Reports: This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.