|Manning Publications Co. seeks a Developmental Editor to work directly with book authors to create high-quality manuscripts on time. Ideal candidate is a critical thinker who skillfully identifies and articulates weaknesses in a manuscript's organization and writing, adopts a coaching/mentoring role with authors, firmly but diplomatically communicates with authors, works both independently and in a distributed team environment, and reliably meets deadlines.
Candidates must possess passing knowledge of software concepts and technologies (such as mobile application development, responsive design, cloud computing, big data and analytics, and agile and lean development).
Technical writers and programmer/writers are encouraged to apply.
- Coach authors on techniques for how to teach difficult or important concepts in their manuscript
- Identify opportunities for authors to improve organization, presentation, clarity, and value to the book's intended audience
- Continually assess manuscript content at a high level
- Manage the book-development process so that authors are completing manuscripts by due dates
- Ensure that manuscripts adhere to Manning's writing guidelines
- Provide project status and content assessment to publisher, acquisition editor, development manager and other Manning staff
- Contribute to the ongoing assessment and improvement of editorial procedures and standards
- Perform occasional tasks related to the marketing of books
[Please note: This position does not include copy editing duties]
- General understanding of technical concepts, software development, and current industry trends
- 1+ years previous substantive editing experience
- Must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week (primarily during U.S. business hours)
- Strong project- and time-management skills
- Excellent organization and multitasking skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and other tools required in an online environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable communicating via email, Skype, and phone
- Must have remote office setup (computer, Internet and email access, reliable phone line)
- Programmer writer/editor background
- Previous experience in a book publishing environment
- Ability to read/write code are a plus
ABOUT MANNING PUBLICATION CO.:
Manning Publication publishes books for technology professionals including programmers, system administrators, designers, architects, managers and others. We care about the quality of our books, and we think of our authors as the most valuable part of our business. We work with our authors to coax out of them the best writing they can produce. We consult with technical experts on book proposals and manuscripts, and we may use as many as two dozen reviewers in various stages of preparing a manuscript. The abilities of each author are nurtured to encourage him or her to write a first-rate book.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Submit your resume and two references with #06-201403EEMannDE in the subject line. If selected for an interview, be prepared to complete an editing sample.
This is a freelance, telecommute opportunity (no travel).