|Length of Assignment: This assignment is for an indefinite period consisting of ongoing projects. The first project is anticipated to last 1 year Right to Hire: Yes
Position: Field Engineer/Analyst
Business Unit: IT
Location: Charleston, WV or Roanoke, VA
• A Bachelors of Science in Engineering or Telecommunications or a minimum of 5 years of Telecommunications engineering experience.
• A minimum of three (3) years of Telecommunications engineering experience in deploying and managing RF wireless technologies, outside plant fiber optic cable system, lightwave electronics and MPLS lease lines. Experience with Transmission and Distribution power systems would be an added benefit.
• The Field engineer position will report to the Manager – Telecommunications Operations in Roanoke and will provide field engineering, installation, and troubleshooting and project management of the clients Telecommunications network projects. The position will interface with multiple business units and project teams. The primary region will be in Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia and Tennessee, but there could be some work assignments in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. The role will also entail a lot of time in the field, possibly 50%-60%.
• The Field Engineer will be a resource to Transport Engineering, SCADA Engineering, Wireless/gridSMART Engineering & Network Engineering to be their hands & eyes in the field for projects they are responsible for.
• The Field Engineer will collaborate with Telecom Engineering and other groups to create standards for test and production equipment to determine common equipment platforms across the company.
• The Field Engineer is the technical liaison to Telecom Ops for new technology and equipment. He/she will assist with responsibilities such as installation, programming, configuration, and training on equipment such as; Ciena 6110, SEL ICON multiplexers or other lightwave equipment, DCS systems, fiber optic cable construction and splicing, WiMAX radio equipment, UPS, MPLS lease line circuits, etc.
• The Field Engineer will serve as a liaison/resource to Business Units to provide engineering & support for Business Unit sponsored projects. (E.g. SCADA Communications, Transport communications, AC and DC power systems and recommendations for physical construction and electrical wiring.)
• The Field Engineer will participate in Station Construction activities such as developing the scope of station projects (during pre-construction meetings), providing IT Telecom input for station construction schedules (during local station superintendent’s staff meetings) and addressing any issues they may have with station networks.
• The Field Engineer will serve as a consultant to collaborate with Telecom Engineering to decide the best methods to provide communication links to stations.
• The Field Engineer will continually analyze the reliability of our existing SCADA network, in collaboration with the SCADA Engineering group. This includes the method used to provide communications, type of HVP & circuit history.
• The Field Engineer will participate in identification of end-of-life replacements of site support equipment (e.g. generators, DC systems, HVAC systems) including deciding on equipment, estimating costs, requesting WOs, procuring equipment, working with the Telecomm Design group on drawings, and coordinating contractors.
• Possess a clear understanding of policies, procedures and standards. Help ensure that others work within the defined policies, procedures and standards; develop and suggest changes as appropriate.
• Plan, organize and coordinate work activities within a work group, team, or other entity as necessary and assumes the role of project manager for assigned tasks. Adhere to Change Management policies and procedures when planning and coordinating work.
• Need to have knowledge of Network Engineering, including IP addressing, the OSI model, routers, switches, layer 2 & 3, etc..
• Coordinate the development of input necessary to establish projected costs of all projects using scheduling techniques for budgeting and planning activities.
• Ensure that all work, time, projects and assets are appropriately documented, according to IT Telecommunications processes, in a timely manner.
• Identify and initiate appropriate corrective action when objectives are not being met.
• Develop opportunities and new ideas and approaches that have system-wide impact.
• Identify, clarify, resolve, and initiate solutions to complex problems that require multifunctional interaction.
• Good, effective communication and interpersonal skills are a requirement.
• Project credibility and competence on technical issues and has developed presentation skills.
• Network effectively throughout organization, vendors, and professional organizations.
• Understands how strategies and decisions impact the relationship with our customers and suppliers.
• Promote and enforce the Company’s Accident Prevention and Safety and Health Programs.
• Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behavior and support the Company’s Corporate Compliance Policy.
• Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.