recommendations for a part to use
Last Post 12 Sep 2013 10:29 AM by jwd217. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Author Messages
bill morway
New Member
New Member

11 Sep 2013 05:02 PM
    I have attached a photograph of a part I built. You will notice that the part ( I will call a CAM ) is hanging of a bar and you will see a brass bushing is what was used to slide the cam over the bar. At the lower end of the CAM you will see an arm extending out. Weight plates will be slid on to this arm. There is one of these CAMS located at each end of the bar. As you place these weights on to the CAM arm, picture what would happen to the CAM device. Weights will make the cam want to lean to the left as you look at the photo. So the brass bushing will have more and more pressure put on the upper right and lower left portions of the bushing. I would like for this cam to be able to be moved to the left or right along the bar, as needed, and I would also like for it to be able to move forward and backward ( like a pendulum movement ). Is there a type of bearing/bushing that will allow this based upon the forces that will be placed upon it as weight is added. Hopefully I have done a good job describing what I am looking for. If not, please ask questions.

    The amount of weight that could be placed on the arm extending out from bottom of CAM could be anywhere from 45 lbs up to 180 lbs.

    look forward to any suggestions. The current Brass bushing really doesn't allow for the pendulum movement I am looking for.

    New Member
    New Member

    12 Sep 2013 10:29 AM
    I expect you need a Linear bearing. They come in various sizes but look like a small pipe, 1" to 2" or so, and can move in both the directions you need. They have the balls in slots on the inside of the bearing. Go to any website that sells bearings and search for LINEAR and you should be able to find what you need.